Beautifully situated on the subtropical island of Okinawa, Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST) is a young and growing university with no departments, eliminating artificial barriers between people working in different fields, but many nationalities, with students and faculty being attracted from all over the world. OIST is an international research university where English is used as the official language of business and instruction, and majority of students, researchers, and faculty are from outside Japan.
Up to two postdoctoral scholar positions are available to conduct research in the Nucleic Acid Chemistry and Engineering Unit headed by Prof. Yohei Yokobayashi at OIST. (Photo credit: OIST)
1919]1 Tancha, Onna]son, Okinawa, Japan 904-0495
The postdoctoral scholar is expected to engage in research, disseminate the research results in publications and conference presentations, and contribute to laboratory maintenance. The types of research that the candidates are expected to work on are as follows.
1) The candidate for one of the positions is expected to engage in nucleic acid engineering projects that require both experimental and computational skills. Specifically, we are interested in harnessing the power of high-throughput sequencing technologies to characterize and design synthetic functional nucleic acids (DNA/RNA) for chemical and biological applications. OIST houses an array of Illumina and PacBio sequencers supported by dedicated staff, as well as high-performance computer clusters.
Candidate should have a Ph.D. in a relevant field with demonstrated experimental (and for position 1, computational) skills. Sufficient written and oral communication skills in English to function in an international research environment are required. We seek self-motivated, hard-working, and creative junior researchers who are not afraid to take on challenging projects.
Full-time, fixed term appointment for 1 year, with the possibility of renewal for up to a total of 3 years. Contract initially with a 3-month probationary period (inclusive).
As soon as possible (negotiable)
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulation.
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid), welfare pension insurance, workerfs accident compensation insurance
- Extensive support for international scholars to adapt to life in Okinawa
Please submit the following documents in English or Japanese in PDF files to email@example.com.
1. Cover letter
2. Curriculum Vitae along with the contact information for two or more references
3. Brief summary of current and previous research (indicating relevant skills outlined in the description of qualifications)
Applications are accepted until the positions are filled.
-@OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
-@Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
-@Further details about the Institute can be viewed on our website.