Beautifully situated on the subtropical island of Okinawa, Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST) is a young and growing university with no departments, eliminating artificial barriers between people working in different fields, but many nationalities, with students and faculty being attracted from all over the world. OIST is an international research university where English is used as the official language of business and instruction, and majority of students, researchers, and faculty are from outside Japan.
Postdoctoral scholar positions are available to conduct research in the Nucleic Acid Chemistry and Engineering Unit headed by Prof. Yohei Yokobayashi at OIST. (Photo credit: OIST)
1919]1 Tancha, Onna]son, Okinawa, Japan 904-0495
AREAS OF INTEREST
<Nucleic Acid Chemistry>
A nucleic acid chemist experienced in synthesis of oligoncleotides and small organic molecules is sought to participate in interdisciplinary projects to engineer novel functional nucleic acids. The candidate will work with other researchers (within and outside of the Unit) with diverse backgrounds. Demonstrated skills in organic synthesis and analytical methods are required. Experience with biomolecular interaction analysis such as ITC and SPR would be a plus. This position is available immediately.
<General Life Sciences and Chemistry>
Exceptionally well qualified candidates with backgrounds in chemistry or life sciences, experimental or computational, who are interested in applying their expertise to "design" functional nucleic acids (DNA, RNA, and artificial nucleic acids) will be considered. The common thread is functional nucleic acid design: development of methods to design and analyze functional nucleic acids, and applications of functional nucleic acids in vitro and in various cells and organism are representative research topics. The candiate should be self-motivated and creative. The possible start date of this position depends on the balance of existing expertise in our unit as well as availability of space.
AVAILABLE RESOURCES: OIST researchers have access to various state-of-the-art instruments and technologies at OIST and within the Unit. Those who can take full advantage of the resources are encouraged to apply. Examples include: next-generation sequencers, cell sorters, imaging cell cytometer, microfuidic emulsion generator/sorter, AFM, ITC, SPR, and microscopy core facility.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The postdoctoral scholar is expected to engage in research, disseminate the research results in publications and conference presentations, and contribute to laboratory maintenance.
QUALIFICATIONS: Candidate should have a Ph.D. in a relevant field. Sufficient written and oral communication skills in English to function in an international research environment are required. We seek self-motivated, hard-working, and creative junior researchers who are willing to take on challenging projects.
TERM: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 1 year, with the possibility of renewal. Contract initially with a 3-month probationary period (inclusive).
STARTING DATE: Negotiable
COMPENSATION: In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulation.
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid), welfare pension insurance, workerfs accident compensation insurance
- Extensive support for international scholars to adapt to life in Okinawa, including assistance with relocation, childcare, and healthcare.
Please submit the following documents in English or Japanese in PDF files to email@example.com.
1. Cover letter
2. Curriculum Vitae along with the contact information for two or more references
3. Brief summary of current and previous research
APPLICATION DUE: Applications are accepted until the positions are filled.
EMAIL ADDRESS: firstname.lastname@example.org
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Further details about the Institute can be viewed on our website.